I think this is my best editorial work yet. It is a collective effort... photography, models, location, hair and makeup, clothes, props, weather, etc that make a package complete. I've always struggled to feel the "styling" is relevant when you are looking at, simply, a $5,000 couture gown on a beautiful model. I think the credit there should go to the clothing designer. The styling in this photo shoot is much more restrained and clean than my usual expression of art and creativity, but for this particular shoot, I believe it was necessary to let the designer wardrobe do the talking and the models wear the clothes versus the styling itself be at the forefront. Alyn and Matt wowed in SouthPark Magazine
I recently was nominated one of the Carolinas Most Stylish in 2015 by Carolina STYLE Magazine. Carolina STYLE Magazine is a fashion – based lifestyle publication highlighting the essence of fashion & style in North and South Carolina. Designed to enrich the lives of their readers through fashion-based lifestyle editorial, it is their mission to inspire our readers to look, feel and live their best. In conjunction with the nomination, Carolina STYLE has published a coffee table book featuring all of the most stylish individuals. Instead of choosing one person for the cover, the publishers chose to include everyone. I feel very honored to be in such good company! Recognize anyone? You may order your copy of the book here.
One of my very favorite modern day designers is Stacey Bendet, CEO and Creative Director the fashion house of Alice and Olivia. The global brand launched at Barneys in 2001 and is currently sold in over fifty countries. In the Queen City, you can shop Alice and Olivia at Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom. I adore this three piece suit of shorts, top and jacket I used in one of the looks in the May issue of SouthPark Magazine.
Shop my favorite current Alice + Olivia items below on Sale up to 75% Off! Now is the time to do it ladies, because these are the best prices you'll ever see for these one of a kind pieces, and once their gone, their gone!
I posted this recent picture from the Charlotte Magazine BOB Awards Pop-Up Pre-Party on Facebook and Instagram, and Holy Thumbs Ups and Hearts! I appreciate all the kind words, and so I thought I would share credits where due. I was fresh off a new 'do from my girl Aurora (who has been cutting my hair for 14 years), and at the recommendation from my girl Bess over at Sloan Boutique, I quickly nabbed this Rachel Zoe dress. I got the last one in the store, but I found it on line in case any of you would like one of your own. PS-Don't miss the BOB Awards Party coming up in a couple of weeks. Way fun.
I recently attended the Carolina's 75 Most Stylish event hosted by Carolina STYLE Magazine. It was so flattering to be included on their chosen list of most stylish, and boy was I in good company.
I decided the event would be the perfect place to wear this little jumper by Self Portrait. As you can see in the picture below, when they called my name first to come have my picture taken, I had no idea what to do before the camera in a sea of people standing and watching. When in doubt jazz hands and say cheese!
Thank you to The SoGood for the very kind and most generous article. If you are not already linked in to The SoGood, it is an amazing one of a kind, trend setting network of artists, makers and entrepreneurs, in some of America's coolest cities, all working to serve the same purpose: to make life SoGood. In the article I share some quick and dirty fashion advice for the new mom, the first date and more, as well as my Top Recommendations in Charlotte. See it here.
Here's my High Fashion For Less outfit from yesterday's segment on Charlotte Today. In case you missed it, you can watch it here. I went straight to Polo Ralph Lauren Factory for my exciting collaboration with Concord Mills. I've always looked the classic timeless looks consistently created by the Ralph Lauren brand. Equestrian is so Town & Country, so rich. I've enjoyed dressing a couple of models in this type of look, and so I was excited to dress myself up in it and step out for a quick spin! Head on over to Concord Mills, or shop any of the items below straight from this page!
Here's my Mom On The Go outfit from yesterday's segment on Charlotte Today. In case you missed it, you can watch it here. I combined items from J.Crew Factory and Banana Republic Factory for my exciting collaboration with Concord Mills. I already own the blazer and pumps from J. Crew. The buttons on the blazer are the EXACT same, and the pumps feel just the same on my feet as those from J.Crew. I seriously cannot tell a difference in quality, yet the price is so much lower at J.Crew Factory. Same goes with the Banana Republic items. Head on over to Concord Mills, or shop any of the items straight from this page!
Am very excited to be talking shop with Belk VP of Trend Merchandising, Arlene Goldstein, in today's Charlotte Observer. With a bevvy of trends from which to engage your wardrobe this fall, Arlene and I weigh in on those we love and how to wear them. As the below image states, grey is the IT color for fall. I dig it. You may read the entire article here. Thank you to the folks over at the Charlotte Observer for including me!
If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you likely saw the pics I posted from my recent trip to Pawleys Island where I was a speaker at the Ladies Garden Party Luncheon to benefit the Pawleys Island Festival of Music and Art. Sasee Magazine is a women's lifestyle magazine serving the Grand Strand from Myrtle Beach to Charleston. Just south of the center is where you will find Pawleys Island. June is Sasee's fashion guide month, and so I was absolutely tickled when they said they wanted to write a story about my experience as a wardrobe stylist. You may read it here. I've been vacationing at Pawleys Island my entire life, and my father being a born and bred South Carolina boy, I'm fortunate to know many locals of the area. The ladies at the luncheon were so kind welcoming me into the social circle of their world. I feel that much more connected to the little town who, with pride, holds tight to their trademark, Arrogantly Shabby. If you've been to Pawleys, you know. The topography, peacefulness and mentality are fantastic beyond measure. If we are making an analogy to one's personal style of dress, there is no need for piling on the accessories here. Pawleys Island is sheer downplayed sophistication.
I am so excited to be featured in the current issue of FOUR Magazine. Blown away might best describe the feeling. If you are not familiar with this publication, it is exquisite in every way. Available four times a year, the publication is named so as it depicts the "collaborative fusion of provacative and unapologetic design, fashion, art and culture"... as it provides "an uleashing from the status quo." This is my kind of magazine, and if you share an affection for this kind of zest, I think it will be yours too. If you are in the Queen City, I would love for you to grab your own copy here, and let me know what you think!
Click image to read
A huge thank you to Four Magazine.
Kudos to photographer Joshua Galloway. You are young, hard working, polite and kind. Your future is so bright, friend! Lastly, thank you to perhaps my favorite little shop in town, Poole Shop, for lending some out of this world threads and styling talent.
Thanks so much for being here. Pinch me please...
There's a lot going on over at Charlotte Magazine this month with the BOB (Best Of The Best) Awards, and now this; a Spring Fashion Blogger Challenge. I had so much fun on this shoot, and it gave me the chance to get to know some other really cute fashion bloggers in the Queen City. I will be 36 years old next month, and yes, I play dress up for a hobby. I'm thrilled to also play dress up with other people as a part time occupation, but for the sake of this post, it is just me not letting go of the little girl inside of me who will never, ever get tired of playing dress up. Call it silly, call it fun, call it what you will (fellow fashion bloggers... what do you call it??), but while you are thinking on that, I'd love for you to take a look here at all of the great looks on display, and if you are interested, cast your vote!
Hope you had a spectacular weekend! Whitley
I think everyone here knows of my love for fabulous interior design. Earlier this week I was so tickled to discover one of the nicest features of the Queen City Style written by a Charlotte design blogger. Cheryl's words came across so poetic and lovely to me, and the images she featured in a little outfit-to-room interpretation are so brilliant, I just had to share! Am I the only one with a fashion AND design addiction?
Click here to see the feature and read more about some of Cheryl's design obsessions.
Happy Friday Everyone!! Or rather, TGIF! Did you enter the Run For Your Life $100 Gift Card Giveaway?? This is my last week participating in The IT List. This has been such a fun initiative in which to participate. I have enjoyed being introduced to so many fun and fashionable ladies. I hope you'll check out all the diverse style on display. Any of these gals' style most represent yours?
- the Queen City Style looks to her closet for inspiration in recreating her latest running outfit! Blue and yellow is the theme and it is spot on! (find The Queen City Style on Twitter!)
- 100 Inspirations recreates Jennifer Hudson's casual and stylish look including loafers and polka dots! Head over to find out where to purchase it all for under $105!
- The Double Take Girls looks adorable in her "back-to-school" outfit complete with yellow and stripes - a superbly preppy summer look! (find The Double Take Girl on Twitter!)
- Lipstick & Lollies might be checking in to colored denim rehab soon! The color of the week? Purple! So cute!
- Lilies, Lattes & Lace shows us her colorblocking skills with primary colors - a perfect look for wrapping up summer! Love! (find Lilies, Lattes & Lace on Twitter!)
- A Fashion Fixation managed to make it through tax-free weekend without too much damage, but did pick up an adorable new top! Pop over to check it out! (find A Fashion Fixation on Twitter!)
- Rachel's Look Book made a video to show us how to style a belt into a cute little flower motif! You don't want to miss this one! (find Rachel's Look Book on Twitter!)
- Urban Frill tried out a new way to style a skirt - head over to see her easy way to shorten the length in a snap! (find Urban Frill on Twitter!)
- Miss Top Ten Image found a pair of lace trousers and knew they had to be hers! Head over to see how she styled them! (find Miss Top Ten Image on Twitter!)
- Here & Now shares with us her list of comfortable (and stylish!) must-haves for a day full of traveling! So cute! (find Here & Now on Twitter!)
- Ishi pairs two of our favorite trends - floral and neon - for a look that is worthy of a night out on the town!
- Fabulously Average is in a fall state of mind with jewel tones and a little layering! A perfect outfit for the upcoming transition to cooler temps! (find Fabulously Average on Twitter!)
- Second Street East is trying out one of fall's new trends courtesy of her husband! Camo, anyone?! (find Second Street East on Twitter!)
- Sweetie Pie Style takes 4 summer pieces we all own and tells us how to make them work for fall to add longevity to our wardrobe! Don't miss this one! (find Sweetie Pie Style on Twitter!)
For the love for of collaborating in great style,
Happy Weekend! Whitley
Happy Friday Friends! Today I am participating in the wonderful stylish, fabulous and fun IT List for my second of four times. I am so thrilled to be featured among such a stylish group of ladies. I hope you will check them all out and see more for yourself!
- Rachel's Look Book shares with us her summer "go-to" items that are fit for running errands or lunch with the girls! Cute! (find Rachel's Look Book on Twitter!)
- A Fashion Fixation is walking on the wild side with her fashion choices lately and it's paying off! She looks fabulous in her new red pants! (find A Fashion Fixation on Twitter!)
- Ash 'N' Fashn is gearing up for the start of the Olympics with an adorable graphic tee! Perfect for watching the opening ceremonies tonight! (find Ash N' Fashn on Twitter!)
- Pink Margarita Pearl looks gorgeous in a neutral outfit - head over to find out how she uses a hint of shimmer to keep the look interesting!
- Urban Frill is wearing her own version of the primary colors and knocked it out of the park! And she thought she had nothing to wear! (find Urban Frill on Twitter!)
- Here & Now mixes masculine and feminine for a layered summer look! Pop over to see how she pulls it off! (find Here & Now on Twitter!)
- Fabulously Average is taking style cues from Betty Draper while sporting an updated vintage look complete with a pink lace skirt! Love! (find Fabulously Average on Twitter!)
- Runaway Style is channeling her inner free spirt with lace and pastels - a beautiful nod to the 60s!
- the Queen City Style is shopping her own closet and trying out a new combination she has never thought of! Head over to see the unlikely pair! (find The Queen City Style on Twitter!)
- Olive and an Arrow goes Aztec with an amazing pair of shorts! She pairs it with a top that has an unexpected twist - go check it out! (find Olive and an Arrow on Twitter!)
- 100 Inspirations recreates a casual Rosie Huntington look for under $115! It involves boots and shorts - a must see!
- Second Street East is sharing a little office inspiration with us, which will be her future workspace. One hint - pink and yellow! (find Second Street East on Twitter!)
- Lipstick & Lollies pairs a neutral top with some pops of color! Don't forget to check out her fun hair accessory!
- Sweetie Pie Style runs us through this fall's shoe trends! Be careful because you will want every. single. pair. (find Sweetie Pie Style on Twitter!)
For more information on how you can be involved - click here.
For the love of collaborating in great style...
Thank so much for reading, and have a wonderful weekend!
Hello Everyone! Today I am participating in the IT list, a fun fashion initiative designed to introduce awesome style to our readers by way of other uber stylish fashion bloggers. This will be my first of four times participating, and I am so exciting to be included in such a fun group of stylish ladies. I was tickled when I found out, my black running dress post was the one chosen for the feature! Do you see your style reflected in any of the images here? I hope you will check them all out!
- Rachel's Look Book is showing us some European flair by recreating outfits she saw while across the pond! A must see! (find Rachel's Look Book on Twitter!)
- Crazy Style Love is in full-on "ladies who lunch" mode with a pretty pastel look. Monochromatic at its best! (find Crazy Style Love on Twitter!)
- 100 Inspirations recreates a casual Jessica Alba look complete with mint jeans and pink loafers. Head over to find out where to get the goods - all for under $140!
- High Heeled Style is having a polka party with her fun top! Paired with green accents and a pencil skirt, it makes for an office look that is sure to stand out! (find High Heeled Style on Twitter!)
- Ash 'N' Fashn loves the classic combination of red and blue together long after Independence Day! Head over to see how she pairs blue with a little red dress! (find Ash N' Fashn on Twitter!)
- Pink Margarita Pearl remind us how important accessories are to our look! Pop over to see how she turned an all black outfit into something special with a few key pieces!
- Urban Frill goes red-hot while pairing a long, flowy vest with her usual work attire for an unexpected twist to business causal! So cute! (find Urban Frill on Twitter!)
- Here & Now is sporting a little drop-hem number that is reminiscent of the 20s. A seriously sassy look for date night! (find Here & Now on Twitter!)
- Fabulously Average shares with us her "Tall Girls Guide to the Mini." Head over to see how she puts her rules to use! (find Fabulously Average on Twitter!)
- Runaway Style is letting her shorts take center stage in this California cool look that is ready for any warm weather you can throw at it! Love those shorts!
- The Queen City Style has discovered something all you fashionistas need... a running dress! Yes, a running dress! Go check it out! (find The Queen City Style on Twitter!)
- Olive and an Arrow is channeling Jess from "New girl" with her adorable polka dot number! I'd say she wears it better than Zooey, what do you think?? (find Olive and an Arrow on Twitter!)
- Second Street East is letting her hair down with a geometric skirt and denim top - a fun look to brighten the day! (find Second Street East on Twitter!)
- Sweetie Pie Style looks ahead to cooler weather with Madewell's fall preview. Head over for tips on how to predict fashion trends for next season! (find Sweetie Pie Style on Twitter!)
For the love of fabulous style, whatever your style...
Have a wonderful weekend! Whitley
It's EVERYBODY everywear time again! Many of you have been complimentary of the photos on the Queen City Style and have asked who is taking them. That would be most wonderful man in the world. I have a photography crew consisting of the aforementioned Captain, Precious Peanut #1 and Precious Peanut #2. When taking the pictures, I try to think of wide open spaces with sidewalks or paths. PP #1 takes his scooter, and PP #2 is strapped into a stroller full of snacks to help him through the agony. I gave most wonderful man in the world this moniker for a reason. He is not perfect, though at times I half jokingly explain that it's not easy being married to Mr. Perfect. Honey, I know this is embarrassing, but I just want to share who the wonderful, patient and kind man behind the camera is. Due to my photographer's absence I was not able to get together a fresh outfit for this month's EBEW theme: Color Blocking. As I'm pretty obsessed with color, many of my posts already incorporate color blocking. So, here is a little montage I put together.
Click on the link below the image to view the original post.
Even my living room is color blocked!
So, I was absolutely thrilled to learn I was mentioned in the August issue of my Style Bible, In Style Magazine. Seriously, I have been subscribing since I was 18 years old. I remembered loving how they styled a Polka-Dot Skirt in three different ways. Shortly thereafter, the skirt I'm wearing (now ON SALE here) below showed up in the window of my favorite retailer, J. Crew. I had to have it. Then, I was inspired by a fellow fashion blogger, Kimberly Smith of Penny Pincher Fashion, to submit my own Inspired by InStyle look. I could have sworn I recognized Kimberly in the June issue, and sure enough it was her! Thank you to In Style for deeming me fashionable enough to be included in your pages, to my mom and best friend for the J. Crew Birthday Gift Card which got me this awesome skirt, to my awesome friends over at J. Crew South Park and to most wonderful man in the world for taking such great photos. Honestly, what inspires me the most is each of you reading this. Thank you for your support and the sheer joy you bring me!
For the love of great style filled with color and joy!